Sunday, December 28, 2008

Help Save Handmade!



One of my New Year's resolutions was going to be to put more effort into promoting my handmade items. I truly think that I make something unique that is not only functional but pretty. I have thoroughly enjoyed creating these crafts -- it is relaxing, rewarding, and fun!

After browsing through Etsy this weekend, I realized that my craft is in major trouble! As of February 2009, anyone manufacturing a product that may be utilized by a child under the age of 12 must comply with stringent testing procedures to ensure that their product does not contain lead greater than 600 ppm. No one, including me, wants their children exposed to lead; however, this new law issued by the Consumer Products Safety Information Act, will not allow certification of testing of individual parts of an item -- for example, if I receive a certification that all individual pieces I compile for my hairbow holders are lead free, I still have to have the finished product tested. This testing must be performed on all batches of all designs. So, every one of my completely "unique" hairbow holders, clippies and headbands, must be tested. And, the testing is expensive!

This is not just about me. Thousands of moms and small business owners will be affected. It will even affect the Salvation Army, retail stores, and consignment shops. You will no longer be able to pass along your cribs or strollers or baby toys that do not have this specific certification.

Please help. Several sites and blogs are dedicated to protecting handmade. You can visit the CPSC's site for information.

Thank you!

2 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Wow, this is all news to me. Thanks for posting about this so I can be more informed. Also thanks for your comment today about the baby-getting-out-of-bed thing! It is so reassuring to know that I am just normal and dealing with regular kid stuff! Doesn't make the early mornings any easier, though, does it?
Carrie

Joan said...

Hooray! I just tagged you! :) Come check out my blog to see what to do next!